Wenceslas Square (Vaclavske namesti)
Prague 1, New Town
The shopping centre of Prague. In the upper part of the square is the statue
of St. Wenceslas with four patron saints of Bohemia (St. Prokop, St. Adalbert,
St. Ludmila and St. Agnes) by Josef Vaclav Myslbek. Erected in 1912.
The National Museum (Narodni muzeum)
Prague 1, Vaclavske nam. 68
A neo-Renaissance building designed by architect Josef Schulz in 1885-90.
See chapter Museums for more details.
The National Theatre (Narodni divadlo)
Prague 1, Narodni trida 2
A Neo-Rennaisance building of 1868-81, built to plans of J. Zitek. A fire destroyed
much of the building in its first year of existence; it was reconstructed by
architect Josef Schulz in 1883. The outside and inside decoration was completed
by the artists of the National Theatre generation . M. Ales, F. Zenisek, V.
Hynais, J. V. Myslbek, etc. The National Theatre is the outstanding Czech stage
and its repertoire consists of drama, opera and ballet performances.
On a rock over the river Vltava, this is the ancient seat of the Premyslide
princes. The oldest building there is the rotunda of St. Martin. In the vicinity
of St. Peter and Paul's Church is a residence for canons, casemates, a park,
and a cemetery called Slavin containing tombs of famous representatives of Czech
culture. From the south part of the fortifications one has a beautiful view
of Prague. The Vysehrad site is opened the whole day.
April - October 9.30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
November - March 9.30 a.m. - 5. p.m.
Other historical targets in the New Town and surroundings
Prague 2, Vysehradska 49
The Emmaus monastery with the Church of Our Lady and Slavic patron saints was
founded by Charles IV in 1347 for Slavonic Benedictines. At the endof World
War II it was burned by bombing. The two asymmetrical spires were finished in
Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Jindrisska vez (Jindrisska Tower)
Prague 1, Jindrisska
The tower of the late gothic style (1472 - 1476) built as a separate belfry
of Italian model. After the fire id 1745 it was adapted in the baroque style
and in 1870s rebuilt in a gothic style (architect Mocker). The clock on a tower
with two cimbalons is dated in 1577. After the extensive reconstruction the
tower was open for public in 2002. This highest separate belfry in Prague is
66 m high and has ten floors. It is possible to make a view of Prague from the
corner turrets and visit here the cafe, the stylish resturant with a view, the
exhibition and shopping premises.
daily 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.
New Town Hall (Novomestska radnice)
Prague 2, Karlovo namesti 23
A gothic complex of buildings from the late 14th and early 15th centuries,
rebuilt in the renaissance style in the 16th century. It contains a tower with
Our Lady Chapel, two gothic halls with ribbed vaults and a renaissance hall.
During 1377 - 1784 the seat of the New Town authorities. On 30th July, 1419,
the scene of the defenestration of the Catholic aldermen by Prague Hussites
which mardked the begining of the Hussite revolution.
Open for visitors:
the tower daily except Mondays 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. (May - September)
halls during exhibitions daily except Mondays 10 a.m. - 5.30 p.m.
Jan Zizka of Trocnov Memorial (Pamatnik Jana Zizky z Trocnova)
Prague 3, Vitkov
The equestrian statue of the Hussite leader created according to B. Kafka´s
model, cast in 1946 and erected in 1950. It is listed as the biggest bronze
equestrian statue by UNESCO.
Brevnov Monastery, Benedictine Archabbey of St. Vojtech (Adalbert) and St. Margaret
Prague 6, Marketska
A monastery established in 993 by the Prince Boleslav II and the bishop Vojtech
(Adalbert). Today´s appearance of the premises including St. Margaret
church, convent and prelate house from 1708 - 1745 (built by K. I. Dienzenhofer)
represents the baroque style at its best.
Saturdays 9 a.m., 10.30 a.m., 1 p.m., 2.30 p.m., 4 p.m.
Sundays 10.30 a.m., 1 p.m., 2.30 p.m., 4 p.m. (April - Semptember)
Saturdays + Sundays 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. (October - March)
Industrial Palace (Prumyslovy palac)
Prague 7, Vystaviste
Originally built as a pavilion for the Jubilee Exhibition in 1891. One of the
most valuable art-nouveau historical monuments in Prague. The steel arch structure
is 238 meters long with 51 metres high tower in the middle. The palace is accessible
during exhibitions, trade fairs and other events.
Ctenice - Castle (Ctenice - zamek)
Prague 9, Bohdanecska 1
Originally a Gothic citadel was founded in the middle of the 14th century,
now it is being reconstructed. Permanent exhibition of old carriages, gigs,
stage-coaches and other coaches from the 18th, 19th and from the beginning of
the 20th century.
Open:April, May and October Saturdays and Sundays 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
June September daily 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Prague rotundas (Romanesque Style)
Rotunda of the Holy Rood (Rotunda sv. Krize)
Prague 1, Karoliny Svetle Street
Founded at the end of the 11th century. Restored in 1862-65 according to plans
of the architect Ullmann and the painter B. Wachsmann.
Rotunda of St. Longine (Rotunda sv. Longina)
Prague 2, Na Rybnicku Street
Founded in the first third of 12th century. Restored in 1844 and modified in
Rotunda of St. Martin (Rotunda sv. Martina)
Prague 2, Vysehrad
Probably founded in the second half of the 11th century, restored in 1878 by
Vysehrad clergy to the plans of architect A. Baum.